IELTS Speaking Part 1 là gì?
Thông thường, phần thi IELTS Speaking Part 1 sẽ kéo dài trong khoảng 5 – 6 phút. Trong thời gian này, bạn sẽ trả lời khoảng 12 câu hỏi liên tiếp về 3 chủ đề. Các câu hỏi sẽ xoay quanh các chủ đề quen thuộc trong cuộc sống như hometown (quê quán), study (học tập), sport (thể thao), food (đồ ăn), hobbies (sở thích), family (gia đình),…
Chính vì thế, IELTS Speaking Part 1 Tips chính là thí sinh nên đưa ra những câu trả lời ngắn gọn cho những câu hỏi này. Chỉ cần trả lời ý chính cho các thông tin được hỏi và bổ trợ thêm vào một hoặc hai chi tiết phụ là câu trả lời của bạn sẽ hoàn chỉnh hơn rất nhiều.
Questions and Sample Answers
Topic 1: Work/ Study
Question 1: Are you a student or do you work?
Answer: I’m a student at Foreign Trade University, which is located on Chua Lang street. My school is about 5 kilometers away from where I live.
Question 2: Do you enjoy what you study?
Answer: Not really. I don’t think what I’m learning is practical and there is always a lot of homework and deadlines. But my friends at school are really nice. They are the main reason that I go to class.
Chủ đề đầu tiên trong bài thi nói IELTS thường được lựa chọn từ những chủ đề Work/Study, Accommodation và Hometown.
- Do you live in a house or an apartment?
- What do you like the most about your house or apartment?
- Can you describe your hometown?
- What would you like to change about your hometown?
Topic 2: Accommodation
Question 1: Are you living in a house or a flat?
Answer: Currently I’m renting a flat on Phao Dai Lang Street. It’s not so far from my workplace, only about 2 kilometers.
Question 2: How long have you been living there?
Answer: Less than a year. Before I moved to this flat, I was living with my parents but it’s too far from my workplace and the traffic there was always terrible. It took me a long time to find this place but I’m pretty happy with it now.
Question 3: If you could change something about your neighborhood, what would it be?
Answer: Hmm… That’s an interesting question. Actually I’ve never thought of this before.
My neighborhood is pretty good I think. It’s quite civilized, and the location is convenient for me to travel to work. I don’t think I would change anything.
Civilized: văn minh.
Các chủ đề tương tự: Concerts, Festivals, Street markets.
Một câu hỏi đặc trưng thường được hỏi trong 3 chủ đề này là về Future plans.
Dưới đây là một vài ví dụ:
- What do you want to do in the next 5 years/after you graduate? (Work/Study)
- Do you want to live here for a long time/in the near future? (Accommodation and Hometown)
Topic 3: Holiday
Question 1: Are there a lot of holidays in Vietnam?
Answer: Let me see…quite a lot. I mean, there’re holidays almost every month, and sometimes these holidays are to celebrate the most ridiculous things. But I’m fine with that, you know, I have more days off from work!
Question 2: What do Vietnamese people like to do during their holidays?
Answer: I think most Vietnamese people want to stay at home to relax and recover from their busy schedules at work and school. I also notice that some families in the city often go on a picnic during these days.
Ridiculous: nực cười, vô lý
Các chủ đề tương tự: Music, Sleep, Cinema.
Đặc điểm chung về các chủ đề này đó là nhiều người thường nghe nhạc/ ngủ/đi xem phim/tham gia các kỳ nghỉ lễ để xả hơi. Ý tưởng này có thể được sử dụng để trả lời nhiều câu hỏi khác nhau.
Do you like listening to music?
→ Absolutely. Listening to music is one of my favorite activities to destress. I often listen to jazz or pop music after a long day at work.
How often do you sleep every day?
→ About 8-10 hours. Sleeping is an excellent way to relieve stress. I always feel refreshed and full of energy after a long, deep sleep.
Topic 4: Patience
Question 1: Are you a patient person?
Answer: Yes I am. But I used to be a very hot-tempered kid who always got annoyed if someone kept me waiting even for 10 minutes.
Question 2: Have you ever lost your patience?
Answer: I sometimes lose my patience when I’m stuck in traffic for hours after a hard day’s work or I’m constantly interrupted by my family members while working in my room.
Question 3: When do you need patience the most?
Answer: Well, being impatient can cause undesirable results, for example, when studying English, you need to build up your knowledge day by day, but sometimes you have to take some rest. So, I think I need to be patient when learning a new language.
Topic 5: Color
Question 1: What is your favorite color?
Answer: When I was growing up, I guess blue was my favorite color. I don’t know why, but I always really liked things that were dark blue. These days though, I tend to have a preference for green things. So I suppose green and blue are the colors that I like most.
Question 2: Did you like that color when you were small?
Answer: As I mentioned, I always liked dark blue when I was young, but green is something that I started to like just a couple of years ago.
Question 3: Is the color of your car or motorbike important? Why?
Answer: Yes, and no. I mean, I don’t really care what color it is; however, I wouldn’t really like to have a pink motorbike. Pink is a little bit too feminine for me. These days I have a black motorbike, which I think is a good color for it.
Feminine: nữ tính
Các chủ đề tương tự: Clothes, Shoes, Sunglasses.
Một câu hỏi đặc trưng của những chủ đề này đó là: “What type of clothes/shoes/sunglasses do you often buy?” Các ý tưởng về chủ đề Colors trong những câu trả lời mẫu ở trên có thể được dùng để trả lời dạng câu hỏi này.
What kind of clothes do you often buy?
→ I like buying clothes that are comfortable, not necessarily fashionable. More importantly, I always choose dark-colored clothes, like blue.
Topic 6: Morning routine
Question 1: What do you do in the morning?
Answer: So normally I like to wake up around 7am, have a light breakfast, and do some household chores, like wash the dishes or sweep the floor, or something like that. Then I usually do some exercise for an hour or two and have a second breakfast at about 9.30. After that, I have some spare time to do other things, like my hobbies, or some other things that I need to get done.
Question 2: Have you ever changed your routine?
Answer: Of course. I mean, my routine depends on my work. These days I work as an English teacher which requires me to work in the afternoon and evening, so I have plenty of free time in the morning. But in the past I used to have a nine-to-five job, so my routine was completely different then.
Question 3: Do you often have breakfast?
Answer: Yeah, every day. My brain can’t function properly without a good breakfast. In fact, as I mentioned before, I usually have two breakfasts, a light breakfast when I wake up, and then a bigger breakfast around 9 or 10 am. I don’t know how people live without breakfast.
- A light breakfast: bữa sáng nhẹ
- Household chores (wash the dishes, sweep the floor): việc nhà
- Nine-to-five job: công việc truyền thống (làm từ sáng đến chiều)
Topic 7: Festivals
Question 1: What is your favorite festival?
Answer: I have to say, the Mid-Autumn Festival would be my favorite festival. Like the name suggests, this festival takes place in the middle of Autumn, which is August 15th according to the Lunar Calendar. I love all the special treats during this holiday, especially moon cakes.
Question 2: What is the most popular Vietnamese festival?
Answer: Well, the most popular Festival in Vietnam is the Lunar New Year Festival. It’s the time for family reunions as people who work far away from home can get to spend some valuable time with their loved ones after a long year of being separated.
Question 3: Do you like western festivals?
Answer: Honestly, I only know a little about western festivals, but I guess the one I find most interesting would be Halloween. You know, it’s just a lot of fun to see people dressing up in many different creative costumes. If I had a chance, I would definitely want to celebrate it in other countries to see what it’s like.
- Takes place: diễn ra
- Family reunion: buổi sum họp gia đình
- Valuable time: khoảng thời gian quý giá
- Dressing up: hóa trang
Các chủ đề tương tự: Concerts.
Concerts, Crowded places và Festivals thường được những người hướng ngoại ưa thích; tuy vậy, người hướng nội lại không thích những nơi này. Chính vì vậy, một cách dễ dàng để mở rộng câu trả lời là đề cập đến việc mình là người hướng nội hay hướng ngoại.
- Yes: I am an extrovert who enjoys the exciting ambiance a crowd brings.
- No: I am an introvert who hates social interactions.
Do you like going to concerts?
→ Yes. I am an extrovert who enjoys the exciting ambiance a crowd brings. Last year I visited Coachella for 3 days and had the time of my life.
Topic 8: Neighborhood
Question 1: Tell me about the place you are living in.
Answer: Well currently I live in an apartment in downtown Hanoi. It’s quite a bustling area with a lot of shops, offices and quite a big park just around the corner from my house. You can also find people from all walks of life around the area.
Question 2: Do you know a lot of people there?
Answer: No, not really. I know just a couple of people who live in my building, but otherwise I don’t really know anyone.
Question 3: Do you like your neighbors?
Answer: Sure. I mean we don’t meet each other very often or anything but they all seem to be nice, friendly people.
- Bustling: bận rộn
- People from all walks of life: người đến từ nhiều nền văn hóa khác nhau với phong cách sống khác nhau
Các chủ đề tương tự: Being alone, Friends.
Chúng ta có thể dùng ý tưởng “I’m busy” để trả lời các câu hỏi liên quan đến các chủ đề này.
Hai cấu trúc có thể dùng cho ý tưởng này:
- I have a lot on my plate.
- I have a tight schedule.
When was the last time you were alone?
→ I honestly can’t remember. I have a tight schedule, so if I’m not at school, I’ll be at work so there are always people around, my students or colleagues.
How often do you meet your friends?
→ Once or twice a week, I’d like to see them more often, but I have a lot on my plate right now.
Topic 9: Water
Question 1: How often do you drink water?
Answer: I drink a lot of water every day. Probably I drink between 2-3 litres a day, depending on how hot it is, or how much exercise I have done.
Question 2: Do you often drink bottled water or tap water?
Answer: Well, unfortunately tap water is full of chemicals that are harmful to your health, so I never drink it. I only drink filtered water that comes in big plastic containers.
Harmful to your health: có hại cho sức khỏe
Topic 10: Gardens/Parks
Question 1: Do you have a garden where you live?
Answer: Well, I’m currently living in an apartment in a condo near the heart of Hanoi, so as you can imagine, there is no space for a garden in there. However, I do have a lovely garden in my parents’ house where I grow all kinds of flowers and plants.
Question 2: Is there a park near your house?
Answer: Fortunately yes, my house is located near a large park with a wide variety of flowers and big trees, so it is an ideal place for me to stroll around and blow off some steam every weekend.
Question 3: Would you like to change anything about the park?
Answer: The park itself is really nice, but it would be better if there were more lights around the park to make it slightly brighter. To be honest, I find it a bit scary when jogging there at night, so I only go there during the day.
- Condo/ Condominium: chung cư cao cấp
- Stroll around: đi dạo
- Blow off some steam: giải khuây/ xả hơi
IELTS SPEAKING PART 1 TOPICS & QUESTIONS
Topic: Work / Study
- Do you miss being a student?
- Do you like your job?
- Why did you choose to do that type of work (or that job)?
- What technology do you use at work?
- Do you prefer to study in the mornings or in the afternoons?
- Are you looking forward to working?
- Do you like your subject?
- Why did you choose to study that subject?
- What subjects are you studying?
- What technology do you use when you study?
Topic: Conversation with stranger
- Is it hard to start a conversation with a stranger?
- Do you normally carry on a conversation with strangers?
- Are you afraid of being evaluated when you meet someone for the first time?
- What do you usually do in your flat?
- What room does your family spend most of the time in?
- Can you describe the place where you live?
- What’s the difference between where you are living now and where you lived in the past?
- Do you plan to live there for a long time?
- How long have you lived there?
- What part of your home do you like the most?
- Please describe the room you live in.
- Do you prefer living in a house or a flat?
- Are the transport facilities to your home very good?
- What kind of house or flat do you want to live in in the future?
- Is that a big city or a small place?
- Is there anything you dislike about it?
- What do you like (most) about your hometown?
- Do you like living there?
- Do you like your hometown?
- How long have you been living there?
- Please describe your hometown a little.
- Do you think you will continue living there for a long time?.
Topic: The area you live in
- Do you like the area that you live in?
- What are some changes in the area recently?
- Do you know any famous people in your area?
- Where do you like to go in that area?
Topic: Taking a rest (break)
- How often do you take a rest or a break?
- What do you usually do when you are resting?
- Do you take a nap when you are taking your rest?
- How do you feel after taking a nap during your break?
- What’s the decoration like in your home?
- What kind of decoration do you prefer?
- Do Vietnamese people like redecorating their homes?
- What’s your favorite color when decorating your home?
- Do students learn maths in secondary schools in Vietnam?
- Do you think maths is difficult?
- What can people do with maths in their daily life?
- Do you learn maths now? Why or why not?
- Is it easy for you to remember people’s names?
- How do you remember people’s names?
- How do you feel when people can’ t remember your name?
- Do you often forget people’s names?
- What kind of trees do people usually plant in your country? How about your hometown?
- Have you ever planted trees?
- What kinds of trees do you plant?
- Do you like planting trees? Why ?
Topic: TV program
- Do you often watch programs on the TV or on your cell phone?
- What kind of TV programs do you like?
- Do you like watching the same kind of program all the time?
- Do you talk with your friends about the program you watched?
Topic: Window view
- What scenery can you see from the window of your home/dormitory?
- Do you like to watch the scenery from your window?
- Do you want to live in a house with beautiful window views?
- How do you feel when you can’t see any beautiful view from your window?
Topic: Being happy
- Is there anything that makes you feel happy lately?
- What do you do to stay happy?
- Can you stay happy all the time?
- Is it important to be happy?
- Have you visited a farm?
- What kind of farm do you like?
- Do you think farming is important?
- Did you do farm work when you were young?
Topic: Getting up early
- Do you often get up early in the morning?
- What do you usually do when you get up early?
- Do you get up early on weekends?
- Which morning do you like best in a week?
Topic: New Year
- How do you celebrate New Year ?
- Do you still remember the new year that you celebrated?
- Do you have any ceremonies to celebrate the
- New Year in your country?
- Why do people think New Year is a new beginning?
- Do you like reading?
- Do you like to read at home or in other places?
- In what place do you think it is difficult to read?
- Do you like to read by yourself or with other people?
- Do you like singing?
- When do you sing?
- Will you take singing lessons in the future?
- Did you enjoy singing when you were younger?
Topic: Home country
- Which part of your country do you want to live in?
- What makes you feel proud of your country?
- Do you know the history of your country well?
- Will you stay in Vietnam in the future?
- Do you think museums are important?
- Are there many museums in your hometown?
- Do you often visit a museum?
- When was the last time you visited a museum?
Topic: Special costumes
- Do you like to wear special costumes?
- Did you try any special costumes when you were young?
- When was your last time to wear special costumes?
- Do you ever buy special costumes?
- What would you do to relax?
- Do you think doing sports is a good way to relax?
- Do you think vacation is a good time for you to relax?
- Do you think students need more relaxing time?
- Do Vietnamese people like barbecue?
- What kind of food do you like to eat for barbecue?
- Would you like to have a barbecue with your family or your friends?
- Did you have barbecue when you were a child?
- What kinds of flowers do you know?
- Are there any flowers that have special meanings in Vietnam?
- Have you planted any flowers?
- Have you sent flowers to anyone?
- What kinds of advertisements do you watch?
- Where can you see advertisements?
- Have you ever bought something because of its advertisement?
- Do you watch advertisements from the beginning to the end?
Topic: Wild animals
- Do you like to watch TV programs about wild animals?
- Did you learn something about wild animals at school?
- Where can you see wild animals?
- In which country do you think you can see many wild animals?
Topic: Environmental protection
- Would you like to work in a company related to environmental protection?
- How can we protect the environment?
- Do you think you’ve done enough to protect the environment?
- Is there education about environmental protection at school?
Topic: Car trip
- Do you like to travel by car?
- When do you travel by car?
- Where is the farthest place you have traveled to by car?
- Do you like to sit in the front or back when traveling by car?
Topic: Primary School
- What did you like to do the most when you were in primary school?
- How did you go to your primary school?
- How do you like your primary school?
- What did you do in your leisure time in your primary school?
Topic: Sky and stars
- Do you like to look at the sky? Why?
- Can you see the moon and stars at night where you live?
- Do you prefer the sky in the morning or the sky at night?
- Is there a good place to look at the sky where you live?
- Do you like to see the stars at night?
- Do you want to live on other planets?
- Do you use a wallet?
- Have you ever lost your wallet?
- Have you ever sent a wallet to someone as a gift?
- Do most of your friends use wallets?
- How do you celebrate festivals in your country?
- What special food and activities do you have for these festivals?
- How do you celebrate the Spring Festival?
- What is your favorite festival?
- Where did you go for your last holiday?
- Do you like holidays? Why?
- Which public holiday do you like best?
- What do you do on holidays?